Melio enables you to request and receive payments from other businesses quickly and easily. Creating a custom and secure payment page takes only a few minutes.
This article will cover:
1. How to start getting paid with Melio.
2. Uploading invoices and creating payment requests.
3. Tracking your payment requests.
How to start getting paid with Melio
After signing up to Melio, you can create your own Melio payment link to share with your customers. Here’s how:
1. Sign in to Melio.
2. Select Get Paid in the left sidebar.
3. Click Start getting paid.
4. Choose a unique Melio URL for your page.
5. (Optional) Customize your page with a logo.
6. Enter your company’s legal details.
7. Connect your bank account. You can connect it instantly using Plaid. Or, add your bank account manually and verify it with micro-deposits.
8. Decide who will pay the 2.9% fee for payment with a credit card. Then click Continue.
You’re ready to start getting paid! Share your Melio payment link with your customers or start creating and sending payment requests by clicking Add my first invoice.
Here’s where you can copy your Melio payment link:
1. Click Settings in the left sidebar.
2. Select Company settings.
3. On the right-hand side of the screen, scroll down to Payment page.
4. Click Copy link to copy your Melio payment link and share it with your customers.
Uploading invoices and creating payment requests
In addition to sending your Melio payment link, you can create payment requests from invoices to share with your customers.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The benefits of payment requests.
We recommend you send a payment request by uploading invoices instead of sending your Melio link. Payment requests with invoices have some added benefits like:
- Detailed- Every payment request includes the correct details of a specific invoice that the customer can’t change.
- Trackable- In the Get Paid timeline of the payment request you can check when the payment request was opened/seen by your customer, if the payment was scheduled by your customer, and send payment reminders to your customers.
- Help manage invoices collecting- When you use payment requests, you know exactly which invoices were sent and can manage the collection process more efficiently.
To create your payment request with an invoice, follow these steps:
1. Click Get Paid on the left sidebar.
2. Click + New Invoice, or Start getting paid, if the list is empty.
3. Choose how to add an invoice.
You have two options for adding invoices:
1. Connect your accounting software and import your invoices.
Connect your accounting software
Currently, Melio syncs invoices (Account Receivables) with five software:
- QuickBooks Online - Learn how to sync QBO with your Melio account.
- QuickBooks Desktop - Learn how to sync QBDT with your Melio account.
- FreshBooks - Learn how to sync FreshBooks with your Melio account.
- Xero - Learn how to sync Xero with your Melio account.
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central - Learn how to sync Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central with your Melio account.
NOTE: Create a bill in your accounting software.
It is not possible to upload invoices to Melio and then sync them to your accounting software.
We recommend creating invoices in your accounting software and then syncing them with your Melio account.
Invoices that are synced from your accounting software will be marked with a link sign next to their number.
Add invoices yourself
You can add/upload a single invoice or a list of invoices in a bulk.
Now you’re ready to send your customer the payment request.
4. Enter your customer’s email address and add a note if you want.
You can also share the payment request’s link with your customer in whichever way you choose. To do that, click Get shareable link.
Here's an example of what a Melio payment request looks like:
To view the payment request from your customers' point of view, read the article What will my customers see when I send a payment request?
When the payment request is paid, you get an email with all its details.
Tracking your payment request
One of the benefits of a payment request is that it’s trackable. Here’s how to track your incoming payment:
1. Click Get Paid in the left sidebar.
2. Find your desired invoice in one of the tabs: Unsent, Sent, In-progress or Paid. Learn more about the different tabs.
3. Click the relevant line to see the invoice’s journey and timeline.