Melio users can pay vendors for any business-related purpose in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and more. Every week, new locations are added to the list of available countries.
What's considered an international payment?
When you pay a vendor located outside of the US and Puerto Rico.
With Melio, you can pay global vendors directly, using ACH bank transfer as the payment method, and deliver the payment in the form of a wire transfer.
How to make an international payment:
Start by making a payment.
- Sign in to your Melio account.
- Go to Pay in the left sidebar.
- Click on the + at the top right and then + New payment.
4. Add a bill manually, upload a file or connect with your QuickBooks account.
5. Fill in the bill details and click Save and schedule a payment.
NOTE: Uploaded a bill file or synced with QuickBooks?
Some or all of the details will be updated automatically.
6. Choose Bank transfer or Credit card as your payment method.
NOTE: International payments can only be made via ACH bank transfer or with Mastercard credit card.
International payments are only available when paying via bank transfer or Mastercard credit card (2.9% fee). Make sure you select a bank account or Credit card as the payment method.
If you choose Debit card as the payment method, the option for making an international payment will be unavailable.
7. Select International payment as your delivery method.
NOTE: Make sure you have your international vendor’s bank info when making a payment.
You won’t be able to request their details via Melio, as you’d do with domestic vendors.
8. Select where the vendor’s bank is located from the dropdown list.
NOTE: Unavailable countries.
Some of the countries on the list aren’t yet available for international payments. When you select a country that’s not available, you’ll get a pop-up message that says you can’t continue with the payment.
9. Add the international payment details. You need your vendor’s SWIFT or IBAN number, bank name, and account number.
NOTE: Why can't I edit the payment amount?
The payment amount is derived from the bill. To change it, go back to the bill and edit the amount there.
10. Add your vendor’s business details.
15. Optional: You can leave a memo for your vendor and add their email address.
Tip: It’s a good idea to enter the invoice number here, to make it easier for your vendor to register the payment.
16. Carefully review the details in the Review & confirm page.
Note: What if I need to edit the payment amount?
You won’t be able to change the payment amount at this stage. To change it, go back and edit the bill.
17. Click Confirm and schedule payment.
18. That's it! Your international payment is on its way. Melio will send you an email with the payment details.
You can also notify your vendor that their payment is on the way.
NOTE: Vendors that have BOTH an international and domestic address.
When you want to make an international payment to a vendor with both a domestic and international address, you’ll need to create two different contacts.