When merging two accounts, you can choose to exclude clients from the account designated to be merged and keep them separate
Firms have the option to merge accounts in order to reduce duplication and ensure all clients are in one place.
What does this mean for you?
During a merge, you’ll be prompted to merge your entire client list
into the firm’s account.
You can choose to exclude clients that you don’t want to be merged into the firm’s account.
If you run an independent practice and also provide freelancing services to clients for another accounting firm. You can exclude the clients you manage independently from the merge.
Note: Exclude clients before merge
You must follow the steps to exclude clients before the accounts are merged.
This article will walk you through the steps you need to do in order to exclude clients from the merger.
The steps will include:
Creating a new Melio user account.
Reassigning the clients to the new user you created.
Removing the original user from the clients’ accounts.
Follow these 4 steps before you merge the accounts.
Step 1: Create your new Melio user.
- Create a new Melio user account.
- Register as an accounting firm.
Why you need a new Melio user:
This account will be used to incorporate the clients you want to exclude from this merge.
Click here to open a new account:
Step 2: Select the client you want to exclude and add your new melio user as a Collaborator
Return to your original user accounting firm Dashboard.
Select the client’s account by either:
* The drop-down menu.
* The “Clients” tab.
3. Go to Settings>Manage collaborators.
4. Click on the +Add button.
5. Invite the new Melio user you created in step 1:
* Complete the collaborator’s details.
* Assign them an “Admin” or “Accountant” role.
* Click Send invite.
6. An invite will be sent to your new user email.
7. Accept the invitation.
8. Your new user will be added as a “Collaborator” to the client’s account.
Step 3: Remove the owner role from the original user (skip to step 4 if the client is the owner)
From the client’s account and in Settings>Manage collaborators, click the ... next to the new username.
Now choose MAKE OWNER
3. On the confirmation screen, choose any role, then click the YES, MAKE OWNER button.
4. Do steps 2-3 for every client you want to exclude from the merger.
Step 4: Remove the original user from the clients’ account.
Sign in to Melio as the new user.
For each client you want to exclude from the merger:
Go to the client’s account.
Go to Settings>Manage collaborators.
Click on the … button next to the original user.
Click Remove from client.
6. Click Yes, delete this user.
7. Do step 4 for every client you want to exclude from the merger.
And as always, if you have any questions, please contact us here.