Firms have the option to merge accounts in order to reduce duplication and ensure all clients are in one place.
What does this mean for you?
- During a merge, you’ll be prompted to merge your entire client list
into the firm’s account.
- You can choose to exclude clients that you don’t want to be merged into the firm’s account.
Let’s say you run an independent practice and also provide freelancing services to clients for another accounting firm. You can exclude the clients you manage independently from the merge.
Note: Exclude clients before merging accounts.
You must follow the steps to exclude clients before the accounts are merged.
This article will walk you through the steps you need to do in order to exclude clients from the merger.
- Creating a new Melio user account.
- Reassigning the clients to the new user you created.
- Removing the original user from the clients’ accounts.
Follow these steps before you merge the accounts.
Step 1: Create your new Melio user.
NOTE: Why you need a new Melio user account:
This new account will be used to incorporate the clients you want to exclude from this merge.
1. Create a new Melio user account.
2. Register to Melio as an accounting firm.
Step 2: Go to the client you want to exclude and add your new Melio user account as a Collaborator
1. Return to your original user accounting firm dashboard.
2. Go to Clients in the left sidebar.
3. Select the client you want to exclude. You’ll be directed to that client’s dashboard.
4. Go to Settings in the left sidebar, then click Manage collaborators.
5. Click +Add.
6. Invite the new Melio user you created in step 1 as a collaborator.
7. Fill in the details and sign them a role.
8. Click Send invite.
9. An invite will be sent to your new user email.
10. Accept the invitation.
11. Your new user will be added as a Collaborator to the client’s account.
Step 3: Remove the owner role from the original user (skip to step 4 if the client is the owner)
1. From the client’s account, go to Settings, then click Manage collaborators.
2. Click the three dots next to the new username.
3. Then select Make owner.
4. On the confirmation screen, choose any role, then click the YES, MAKE OWNER button.
Step 4: Remove the original user from the clients’ account.
1. Sign in to Melio as the new user.
2. For each client you want to exclude from the merger:
a. Go to the client’s account.
b. Go to Settings in the left sidebar, then click Manage collaborators.
c. Click on the three dots next to the original user.
d. Click Remove from client.
e. Confirm by clicking Remove.
Repeat step 4 for every client you want to exclude from the merger.
And as always, if you have any questions, you can contact us here.